Day in the life of a stay-at-home mom, yoga instructor and writer

Day in the life of a stay-at-home mom, yoga instructor and writer

When I made the announcement that I wasn't returning to my 9-to-5 job, the response was mostly supportive. I'm fortunate to have people who believe in me by my side.

Some people aren't into the stay-at-home mom thing. There's a negative stigma around it. Maybe because some think it's traditional or patriarchal. Or maybe there's a tinge of jealousy there. Perhaps some people think I'm lazy.

One former co-worker jokingly said, "I heard you are going into early retirement!"

No, I'm not.

I've also had quite a few "Don't you get bored?" comments, or, "Are you looking for something to do with your time?"

No, thank you.

I'm a stay-at-home mom and I work hard. I've always worked hard. I'm just choosing to work hard at the things that I really want to work hard at now — including being Memphis's mom. And as a family, we chose to make some sacrifices so that we could make it all work.

When I saw my college friend share a "day in the life" post I liked it and knew right away I wanted to follow suit.

If, when I announced I was quitting my job, you thought I was spending my days sipping on champagne and taking bubble baths, you're mostly wrong. Because I do take a lot of baths. (I did before I quit my job, too.) I love my life but I'm not vacationing or retired or bored or looking for things to do. Let's debunk that myth right now.

Here's what a typical day looks like for me as a stay-at-home mom, yoga instructor, blogger, new YouTuber and freelance copywriter. Not every day is the same. Some days are less busy than others. But this was my Tuesday (the day I wrote this post).


4:30 a.m.

Alarm goes off. I slide out of bed as though I'm moving through an invisible pool of molasses. First: Coffee. With collagen, of course.

I take my coffee with me as I pump some milk (in case Memphis wakes up before I get home) and get dressed.

My coffee looks strange because I used my chocolate collagen and didn't mix it very well ... it tasted delightful though!

My coffee looks strange because I used my chocolate collagen and didn't mix it very well ... it tasted delightful though!

5:10 a.m.

I start driving to the yoga studio. I love this drive. It's still somewhat dark outside. The streets that are typically busy are pretty bare. It's relaxing, calming, quiet.


5:30 a.m.

My desk shift starts. I unlock the doors to CorePower Yoga on the plaza and get the studio ready for class. I teach the 6 a.m. Yoga Sculpt class on Tuesdays and Thursdays — come join us if you wanna start your day off strong!


6:00 a.m.

Time for Yoga Sculpt. Let's do this. A group of eight committed yogis work on muscles and mindfulness to the beat. Thank you, Britney Spears. (Current Yoga Sculpt playlist here.)

Day in the life of a stay-at-home mom, yoga instructor and writer

7:45 a.m.

Back at home. Memphis is awake with Dad on the couch. (Here's how we got him to sleep through the night!) I take over so Dad can get ready for work. We play and cuddle until it's time for nap No. 1. 

8:30 a.m.

While Memphis takes his first nap I shower, start a load of laundry and pick up around the house. I like to start the day with a clean slate. Then I pull a tarot card to seek some guidance for my day. Hello, Hermit.

Tarot card - Hermit

9:30 a.m.

I fix a bowl of oatmeal (my usual breakfast — I know, I'm boring). As I eat, I finish editing a postnatal flow for YouTube and schedule it to go up. (It's up now!)

10:30 a.m.

Memphis wakes up from a nice two-hour nap. I breastfeed him and then take him downstairs to join me for a little yoga practice.

He kicks and coos while I breathe and flow.

Day in the life of a stay-at-home mom, yoga instructor and writer

I sort through the sequence I want to focus on in my C2 classes this month (take a peek here). Often I'll write a sequence that looks great on paper but feels awkward in my body once I transcribe it to the mat. So writing sequences is partly writing but mostly moving and experimenting. I love my job.

11:30 a.m.

My sister comes over to watch Memphis while I head out to teach a lunchtime class.

12:00 p.m.

Lunchtime yoga! I lead a small group of advertising employees through a hip-opening yoga sequence during their lunch hour. I love seeing their moods shift as they leave. They come in wide-eyed and I'm sure feeling stressed about the work waiting for them at their desk. When they leave they seem to waltz out with grace and ease. Yoga is magic.

1:30 p.m.

I'm home and Memphis is awake after his second nap. I breastfeed him and chat with my sister before she takes off. I'm thankful she comes to watch him for a couple hours every week so I can work. They say it takes a village. It certainly does.

Day in the life of a stay-at-home mom, yoga instructor and writer

While Memphis plays on his play mat, I eat my lunch, which consists of a microwavable breakfast sandwich and a kombucha. Go ahead and judge me all you want. I only claim to be partly healthy. 

2:30 p.m.

A big thing happens. I have to pee (that's not the big thing). I take Memphis upstairs and put him on our bed where I can see him from the bathroom. And here's where the thing happens. He rolls over! He's been rolling over from tummy to back but for the first time he rolls over from back to tummy. I rush to finish my business so I can praise him and text Dad the news in all caps.

Then I change into jeans. Because it makes me feel like an adult.

3:00 p.m.

Memphis and I get in the car and drive to the elementary school to pick up my neighbor's daughter from kindergarten. When it's nice outside, we walk with the stroller. But it's snowing. In March. No thank you.

Again, it takes a village. I pick up my neighbor's daughter a couple days a week in exchange for a couple hours of her watching Memphis so I can work during the day. It's ideal and I never want to move out of our house because that would mean moving away from great neighbors.

3:15 p.m.

I get my little neighbor a snack ("Orange chippies [Dorito's], please!" As she munches and plays with her toys I fold a load of laundry. Then the three of us play until her dad picks her up. She's so good with Memphis, and he studies her every move. Since he doesn't go to daycare, I like that he has some exposure to kids.

4:00 p.m.

Memphis takes his final nap of the day. I sit down at the computer with a protein bar (yeah I'm sure it's not the healthiest) and start some freelance work. I'm grateful to have a handful of consistent clients to keep me busy and help support this dream life I'm humbled to live.

5:15 p.m.

Awake time! I breastfeed Memphis and we play at his activity center until Dad gets home from work.

Day in the life of a stay-at-home mom, yoga instructor and writer
Day in the life of a stay-at-home mom, yoga instructor and writer

6:00 p.m.

Dad's home! He takes over so I can get back to my freelance project.

7:30 p.m.

Day in the life of a stay-at-home mom, yoga instructor and writer

I take a break from working to help with bedtime. It's kind of a production at our house. After three stories we tuck him in, I kiss his sweet cheeks and tell him goodnight. Gosh I love him more than anything.

9:30 p.m.

I wrap up my freelance work for the night and head downstairs to spend some time with my husband. We warm up some leftovers for a late dinner (stuffed peppers — something healthy!), have a beer (because balance) and watch one of our new favorite shows, "Queer Eye." 

10:30 p.m.

Kristopher gets ready for Memphis's dreamfeed while I pump. We give him his dreamfeed between 10:30-11 p.m. Well, I say we but I mean Kristopher. He's the MC of bedtime and dreamfeeds. I just cuddle Memphis and tell him how amazing he is one last time before I call it a night.

11:30 p.m.

My head hits the pillow. I check in on social media because what else do you do at 11:30 p.m. in bed. Then I read a few pages of my book. I'm currently reading: "A Visit from the Goon Squad" by Jennifer Egan. I'm a slow reader these days. Usually by the time I sit down with my book I'm already half asleep. I'll finish this book eventually.  

I tell Kristopher goodnight and check the baby monitor one last time — my sweet sleeping baby is always the last thing I see before I nod off to sleep.



As you can see, my days are full. Not all of them are as full as this but many are. If I were doing work I didn't love, I would feel exhausted. And don't get me wrong, I get tired. But I seldom get exhausted. Because what I fill my days with are by choice, not by obligation.

I used to feel like a zombie. Just going through motions. Days blended together ... sometimes minutes felt like hours. But when you're doing what you love, it's energizing. Hours feel like minutes.

It's a privilege to live this way. To have the luxury to pursue my dreams. To be able to play with my baby one minute and seconds later be flowing on my mat. To be able to write part-time for clients so I can write for myself here. To get paid to share yoga in person so I can share yoga for free on YouTube where it's accessible to everyone.

I know life won't always be like this. Because it's life and it changes and evolves. And to be honest, I don't know what's next. But I'm loving the hell out of now.