20 things I learned in my 20s
You guys. I turn 30 tomorrow. Woof.
You only jump into a new decade so many times in your life, so I’m using this opportunity to reflect on what I’ve learned over the last 10 years.
So much has happened. I graduated from college, met my husband, married my husband, got my first “big girl” job, changed jobs, changed jobs again, and again, found yoga, became a yogi, became a yoga teacher, taught at a studio, then a gym, then another studio, moved into an apartment, then a duplex, then another apartment, then our friends’ attic, then bought a house, traveled around the country and the world, lost some beautiful souls, welcomed beautiful new souls to the family, made some huge mistakes, made some great accomplishments… you get it. A lot happened.
As scary as 30 sounds, I’m happier than I’ve ever been. I wouldn’t want to go back to being 20. Nope. No thank you. I like where I am now. I’ve grown so much since then and know that I’m only going to continue to grow.
If I would have read this list at age 20, I probably still would have made all the same mistakes. Because I inherited my father’s stubbornness and have to learn things the hard way. Truthfully, I think we all do. But for what it’s worth, here are 20 things I learned in my 20s.
20 things I learned in my 20s
1. Eat the damn cookie. Life is too short.
2. And stop drinking Bud Light. Meet your new friend: craft beer.
3. Sleep is important.
4. Learn how to argue. Arguing is healthy. Yelling is not.
5. Also learn how to defend yourself. It’s empowering. (And safe.)
6. Self-care isn’t selfish.
7. Not every relationship is worth fighting for. Know when it’s time to part ways and be OK with it.
8. Love is hard work — like you actually have to put in the work — but the harder you work the better it is.
9. A strong work ethic doesn’t have to mean running yourself into the ground. (And running yourself into the ground doesn’t necessarily equate to success.)
10. Save money — you don’t actually need that shirt.
11. But spend on experiences. There’s so much to explore.
12. “Maybe someday” means never. Start now.
13. Don’t let anyone dim your light. If they do, don’t invest in that relationship.
14. Don't gossip. If you find yourself around people who delight in talking bad about others — reassess who you're choosing to surround yourself with.
15. Try to understand all sides. Even if you still think you’re right.
16. Ask for what you want — ask your boss for a raise, ask your husband for a date, ask the universe for a sign. Nobody will say “yes” if you don’t ask the question.
17. You’re already beautiful.
18. The “finish line” is only a moment in time; the journey lasts forever. If you’re not enjoying the journey, it’s not your finish line to cross.
19. Leaning on other people does not mean you can’t do it alone; it just means you don’t have to.
20. Get Amazon Prime. It changes everything.
So long, 20s. Hello, 30. I’m liking you already.